1. Technology Overview
The global prevalence of dengue has grown dramatically in recent decades and the disease is now endemic in more than 100 countries with 4 different types of the virus found (serotype 1-4). Unfortunately, accurate dengue detection proves to be elusive as very often the diagnosis of dengue in endemic regions is based on clinical presentation, and can be confused with other viral diseases with similar clinical features like Japanese Encephalitis and yellow fever. Classical methods are considered gold standards; however, they are tedious, slow and often difficult to standardize, and require specialized expertise.Current commercial dengue diagnostic kits rely on the use of whole virus antigens and are consequently associated with false positives, high cost of antigen production, and biohazard risks. This invention provides a qualitative and quantitative method for detecting and serotyping dengue virus that includes dengue virus-specific primers and dengue virus serotype-specific probes for use in reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).
2. Technology Features and Specifications
- Highly accurate
- Specialized to only work with dengue virus genes, ensuring no false positives from other diseases.
- Serotype specific tests determines which serotype the virus is.
- The method only requires a small amount of blood to work.
- The time taken for this invention is approximately 3-4 hours.
- Results can be obtained quickly and efficiently, ensuring patients get treatment in a timely manner
- Early detection
- Able to detect the virus in the early stages as only a minute amount is needed
- Increases chances of early detection
3. Market Opportunity and Potential Applications
As dengue fever is becoming more prevalent, the need for quick, accurate and early diagnosis is needed. This invention meets those requirements which effectively makes it the best option for healthcare professionals looking to fight dengue. Furthermore, this method can be expanded to other diseases caused by pathogens with known sequences.
4. Benefits and Impacts
Dengue virus can be detected accurately and specifically through this new invention. Early diagnosis can be done so appropriate treatment and medicinal advice can be given within a short period of time. Thus, the rate of mortality can be reduced and more lives saved.
5. Development Stage
Available for Licensing
Please refresh to load the page contents