1. Technology Overview
Dengue has become increasingly prevalent in recent decades with higher number of dengue cases and dengue-related deaths reported yearly. Dengue patients are usually treated in the hospital by close monitoring and good supportive care as there is no specific drug for dengue treatment or an approved vaccine to prevent dengue. The increase in cases has led to insufficient number of beds to manage dengue patients in hospitals during dengue outbreaks. As such, there is a need for efficient management and treatment prioritization for dengue patients. However, one of the biggest problems faced by medical practitioners is the timely management of the dengue patients to prevent the progression to the severe forms of dengue. To date, there are no specific ways of determining which among the dengue patients would develop severe dengue and would require warding and immediate treatment from those that can be given medication and allowed to return home. This invention refers to a method that utilizes a specific biomarker from patient’s serum to determine the severity of the dengue infection so as to enable better management of dengue patients.
2. Technology Features and Specifications
- The test assesses a biomarker that is produced by the body during dengue infection
- Concentration of biomarker is proportional to the severity of the infection
- Reference value acts as threshold value for infection to be considered severe
- Significantly increases the predictive ability when combined with presently available laboratory test
- As it utilises the biomarker, it is not masked or affected by external factors such as medication
- Gives accurate representation of the severity of the infection
3. Market Opportunity and Potential Applications
The unavailability of diagnostic treatments to determine the severity of a dengue infection poses a problem to healthcare officials in determining case management of dengue patients. This invention fills that void and provides healthcare officials with the information they require.
4. Benefits and Impacts
This invention allows healthcare officials to assess the severity of the dengue. They can use that information in order to do ensure the best quality of treatment to the patients. The information could prove vital to saving the lives of patients.
5. Development Stage
Available for Licensing
Please refresh to load the page contents